View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Seriously strange pronounciations (?)

In an American audiobook I'm currently listening to, I've come across two VERY odd (odd to me, at least) pronounciations:

1. The word "buoy" - ie a floating marker at sea - which the reader pronounced "boo-ee". In British English the word is pronounced the same as the word "boy".

2. The word "quay", which the reader pronounced "kway". Again, in British English it's pronounced "key".

Are these really the "normal" American English ways of saying these words? I've never come across this before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote