Thread: Indexeses
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
In my case, I have all my books in a "books" directory, and within that, I have directories named after each author, in Last, First format. Within those directories, things vary a bit more, but usually there is a level of format directories, and then within that, filenames may include the author's name as well as the name of the book.
That is very similar to how the calibre beta organizes files. You specify the top level folder. In that folder is a folder for each author. The folder is named based on the authors name in the calibre database. So, you can put the author as lastname firstname if you want. Within each author folder is a folder for the book title. With that are the book files and a .obd file an sometimes a cover picture graphic file. While it would be nice to be able to specify this the current layout works perfectly well for me and it is easy to find an ebook file that I want to transfer to my device.

Quote:
Once the author's name and book title are available, of course, it would be great to be able to get other info from an online database.
It does do that. Generaly getting the ISBN and Summary info from isbndb.com.

Quote:
One other feature I'd like is the ability to enter or import my paper book collection, and tie my paper inventory to my electronic inventory. I'm gradually trying to replace all my paper books, especially fiction, with ebook versions. I have Readerware and a barcode scanner, so I plan to have a full online inventory of my paper books "soon."
Hmm... I don't use readerware... I use librarything for that. Although I have choosen to enter "books I've read" in library thing rather than use it to index files/books that I have/own. Of course you could use it that way via tags. Then I use calibre to "index" my ebook files and also do conversions to LRF if needed. I don conversions to Mobi using other command line tools then add those files to calibre. But, I think there are future plans to be able to plug in other command line tools.

Hey, there is always room for more software in this world. But, since calibre is open and Kovid accepts patches it seems to make sense to add some of these features to it rather than starting with a clean slate.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote