View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #109
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
The last time I've checked, "Microsoft" was not a humanitarian organization. If their Reader is still alive after almost a decade, they surely made some money out of it.
Since they never charged for it, it's hard to see how.

Some of what Microsoft is more indirect, and not a direct money maker. MS Reader, for example, was among other things an outgrowth of display technology and typography research, which got incorporated in other MS products.

Quote:
I don't know how many people are still using it, but I am guessing that for all MS OSes (and it is not only Windows, but Windows Mobile and WinCE, as well) it is still a very viable option. That application was the best reader available for my late WebDT375, nothing could even touch their ClearType clarity, clean interface and feature set. And I do Linux for living, so no Microsoft bias on this side. But I do wish there was a version of MS reader for my Sony 505.
Clear Type was the win for MS here. Viable option? Well, in the sense that it's available, and books are available in .LIT format, yes. But I strongly suspect the actual number fo folks using it is a small fraction od the total number of ebook readers.

And I didn't assume you had an MS bias. I just assume very few folks actually use MS Reader to read ebooks these days.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote