View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #479
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Then what's the problem with having the plugin upload all matched tags as shelves, even if the shelf doesn't already exist?
I have already stated above exactly what the problem is with the plugin uploading all tags as shelves. Anyone who has used the Google plugin to download tags will have hundreds of the damn things, representing character names, places, dozens of variants of sci-fi/science fiction/sf, etc etc. Apart from transferring that same dogs bollocks of a mess onto goodreads it would also flood their API with calls, which goodreads have very strict constraints about the volume that can be made. So to ensure the plugin does not get blocked it has always taken the approach of a middle ground to satisfy the majority. And this is *not* a majority feature.
Quote:
I'm sorry if I've upset you, but you've repeatedly said you don't really understand the Shelf usage (and don't use it at all yourself), and you still don't seem to.
Is this sort of repeated arrogant, antagonistic comment supposed to be helpful at all? The main feature I don't use of this plugin myself nowadays is "upload tags as shelves". I do take objection to someone who has only just discovered the plugin repeatedly stating to the developer who has spent hundreds of hours developing and supporting it that I "don't understand" what goodreads shelves are for. Just because I have no desire to invest even more time to add a feature to this plugin because I don't see it generally useful (given that in the thousands of users not one other person had brought it up as a requirement in two years of usage) does not mean that I "don't understand shelves".

And yes I would argue that creating empty books is not a "sync" of data, in regards to the question the other poster made. A sync implies that data will get overwritten, and in the case of title/author this plugin will *not* get overwritten. The book in calibre can have completely different values from the matched book on your shelf. So book metadata is not "synced", however you are correct in saying that you can use this plugin to create new books in calibre that do match their goodreads equivalent.

As for the invalid float error, I haven't seen that reported elsewhere, so I will take a look into that at some point.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote