View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
This is a completely backwards idea.

Why, exactly, would I want to get in a car, drive 20 minutes to the store, browse for 30 minutes, spend 15 minutes checking out, then another 20 going home -- when I can download a sample, read it, buy it, and have it on my device in 10 minutes?

You don't need to go to the music store to download MP3's, or to the game store to download video games, or to the video store to stream movies to your computer. I fail to see why you need to go to a physical store to download a book.

Not to mention that a store is a very expensive chunk of overhead that will become far less common (for better and for worse) as ebook sales rise. Since the physical store doesn't even generate revenue from the sale, it's clearly not a sustainable model.
It is a desparate attempt to save the old distribution chain, like a small neighborhood grocery. I agree, this won't work. Perhaps as a small section in store selling physical books. Those who like to chat with the owner will be buying physical books, anyway.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote