View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #109
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Just use one tag each for quality, genre, etc. and make it human readable.
More implications sank in:
Even using just one genre or just one type, there are some important things to track. Either they get tracked in their own fields or as some kind of tag in a tag-type field. Either way, isn't it kissier and more convenient to cram the information density into a smaller horizontal space? If I were richer my display would be a meter wide, but it isn't, so I like dense and don't need readability for the world (for my own purposes) because I understand it at glance.
So:
Format Good, Fantasy, Magic, Young Adult, Omnibus, Multi-Author Series, Series Up To Date, MyRating 3.
as opposed to:
_q4, ((fn, (mgc, (ya, [om, %sma, %su, r3
which can even fit several more tags in relatively narrow column.

Am I missing something here?

---
From KISS v0.3:
_FormatQuality, ((GenrePrimary, (GenreSecondaries, [Type, %status, miscellaneous
_q4, ((fn, (mgc, (ya, [om, %sma, %su, r3
That translates to: Format good, fantasy with magic, young adult, omnibus, in multiauthor series, series up to date, myRating=3stars (and I've read it, otherwise it wouldn't be rated).

---
Edit: When I first started using these abbreviated tags a few months ago, I didn't like them at first. It took me a few days before I began to think in their language. Then after that I loved it.

Edit2: On the other hand, it took 6 months for me to even begin to comprehend regex a little (not that I tried hard during that time )

Last edited by unboggling; 08-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.