View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
I'm not easily offended by any means, but I just noticed that many users had the title of "Grand Wizard" bestowed upon them by the forum, which immediately made me think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

Just something to think about. I'm sure that no harm was meant when creating this title and I know that this community is a diverse one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I thought of that when I first saw it. However, I seriously doubted that the originators of the "Grand Wizard" moniker had any idea that it had such a dark meaning in the US. So, I thought no more about it.
I also don't believe any malice was intended, but as a native Southerner, it was also the first thing I thought about when I saw it. MobileRead is an International community, and I'm sure the phrase has different connotations in different countries and regions, which is why it's never been a huge deal for me; but as U.S. citizens make up a sizable proportion of our International community, I certainly wouldn't miss the phrase were it to disappear.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote