View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've had a chance to try a few things. Arabic and Hebrew are supported, and the correct r2l order within each word is correct, but the word order is l2r (incorrect). I suspect the source files were incorrectly encoded however (I just used 'Send to Kindle' browser plugin to send a web article to Personal Documents service and it probably messes too much with the web page text formatting). I'll have to do it more carefully next time. It looked like the Arabic ligatures were the same as on the source web page, which is amazing and I assume more or less correct. Maybe they are using WebKit for rendering?

My Thai and Bengali samples also seemed to be okay as well. I don't know if the Thai line breaks are correct (Thai does not use space characters to delimit words) but again, if they're using WebKit, perhaps the rules are built in for that.

Of course there's no font selection in any of the non-Latin scripts but it looks like script support is significantly higher than before.

Hope they have fixed the dictionary format so that you can make dictionaries in all of them (I tried a Russian-English dictionary that someone posted here, but lookup still did not work, and it's compounded by the fact that you can no longer look up words 'manually' on the KT as you could before: you used to be able to select a word, hit space bar, and then choose a search option. There's no input method for non-Latin scripts, and not all Latin scripts can be input with the keyboard (basically west european only). But maybe they are tweaking dictionary format as well.

Wonder how much of this applies to K4?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote