View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #110
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Device: none
The wrong is so far not with us, but with the technology.

My conclusion: I would certainly buy another PB reader similar to the 301+ as soon as it hits the US market (being careful not to fall into another "Kindle" trap - the cheaper Kindle Touch was cheap for a reason, it's much much inferior for serious readers than the Kindle 3).
I hope Pocketbook won't make the new model a nicely packaged toy - chasing the competition.
Whatever I took for granted in the PB 301+ (multiple formats, scaling, landscape mode with its own scaling, customizable fonts, ergonomics) lacks in the competition.

- EZ reader: pros: fonts selection, scaling, landscape, reads multiple formats
cons: small screen, buggy software, not much development.

- Kindle Touch: pros: ergonomical, scaling
cons: bad resolution, no landscape, scaling is not remembered for the next page!

- Kindle 3: pros: ergonomical, scaling, landscape, good resolution, selectable fonts (normal, condensed, sans - at least that)
cons: scaling too rough - 100, 150, 200%

- iriver Story HD: pros: good resolution, multiple formats, landscape
cons: landscape scaling absent, portrait scaling very small.
No font selection (even condensed or sans can't be selected)
What spoils the good resolution in my view: the screen is a little darker in the background.
Firmware updates don't make much sense: a year ago people were complaining about the lack of zoom in the landscape mode, and the recent (October) firmware still did not address the problem.
OK, I don't want to hijack this thread - the conclusion that I made after this accidental crash course in e-readers: I would buy a Pocketbook model again, if they keep making devices for a serious reader.
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote