View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A nice little test, trying to sell their software, but probably gives an indication.

411wpm, 100%.

Reading up on speed reading (which I hadn't before) it seems to be a bit of a pseudo-science, with snake oil salesmen everywhere.
I got 406wpm, 100% on that test but I guessed two of the answers so those really shouldn't be considered correct.

I've seen so many different books and theories on speed reading and some of them seem like its impossible to work but it must work for some people I guess. There is one that is called photo reading or something like that where you stare at a page until your eyes almost cross and you flip through the book like that spending about 3 seconds on each page. Supposedly your mind can still decipher the text and when you are done you flip back through the book and where ever you feel like you should stop you should stop because its your unconscious mind telling you that there is important information in that portion of the text. That one was a bit odd I thought .

The stuff like using your finger to pace yourself and humming in your head to stop subvocalization were more reasonable but apparently you can read up to about 600wpm while still subvocalizing, if I could get up to that I'd be fine. When I did my first speed reading tests a couple weeks back I was in the mid-200s so getting to my high 300s has been good, I have so much stuff to read I wish I could just plug a usb cord in my head and upload it all directly. Maybe Apple will come out with an iMind app