View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
JimStar
Enthusiast
JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kyobo eReader, Sony PRS-950, PocketBook Pro 902, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I'm sorry but... haven't they done it already? Isn't that precisely the point of backlight? Got low light, turn on backlight. You're out on a sunny day? Turn it off. Best of both worlds.
The sense of Mirasol (over TFT) - is energy economy, and backlight eats a LOT of all energy. So it makes sense NOT turn on backlight in the same circumstances where eInk is excellently readable and needs no backlight. So, if in low light where I read eInk VERY comfortable, I need turn on backlight in Mirasol - I get almost the same energy consuming as in TFT. And in this case - I can use TFT the same way and the more expensive and more sluggish Mirasol makes no sense if I will read most the time in low light...

So, Mirasol IMHO is very cool technology, it is very good readable without backlight when enough light is present, but at the time, in this version, in low light circumstances - it is worse than eInk in energy consuming as it needs backlight to read comfortable. In this case it has no benefits over plain TFT as it is more sluggish than TFT and has fewer colors.
I really HOPE that Mirasol tech will be much better with this "darkness" in new versions of displays - as I wrote I think that it is really COOL technology... Just a little thing needs to be fixed...

Sorry my "you know what"...
JimStar is offline   Reply With Quote