View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I don't think the number of days for eBooks is numbered and I don't believe that is what she said. I think that the technology will reach the point that an ePub can be generated automatically from a word processor and her job of hand crafting an ePub will be much less needed.

Dale
Yes. I didn't, um...see the previous suggestion that I meant that the days of ebooks were numbered.

I meant simply that the days of ebook conversion houses are numbered. The huge publishers have all outsourced the work offshore, and don't even proof what they get back, particularly for backlist books (I know this factually, not anecdotally) and the "Kindle Gold rush" is patently over, as an unintended consequence of the KDP Select program. Existing authors that were making a living now aren't; would-be or hopeful authors read about this and have put off publishing.

And we all know that the lack of quality control in the industry, of any kind at all, means that more and more people will use tools like Calibre (nothing against it for its intended purpose) rather than either do the work properly or pay someone to do it properly, or worse, get taken advantage of by the rip-off artists we've seen come through here who don't even know how to extract the content or spell HTML, much less work in it. So...yes, I think quality companies like mine will indeed go out of business, whilst scammers, as always, will thrive. Just like cockroaches.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote