View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I believe Amazon has promised that Wikipedia search would remain free but they have made it quite clear that access to the rest of the internet is "experimental" and can go away at any moment. Like Harry, I have no doubt that would happen quite quickly if people started doing P2P.

As for the OLED, I think you'd be waiting a long time to get that for under $1K with screen prices as they are. Maybe that could be Kindle 3.0 or 4.0. Harry has a good point about the portability, too, but then I wouldn't view a 9" device as quite as portable as my Kindle. It's more like a laptop or a tablet which I'd carry around in a special padded bag and would be used in a more protected environment. I'd use it at home or at work which is where I really want that large screen. Tech docs at work don't do so well on the Kindle. The Kindle is small and convenient. I still have to protect it with a padded cover but it gets tossed in my handbag and comes out on a train, when I'm waiting in a line, even at the grocery store and my kitchen (it has my shopping list and recipes on it). I do want a large reader someday but I think at that point I'll likely have two (a large and a small) unless they come up with a good folding device.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote