View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Thanks all. Sorry I've not replied earlier, I've been a bit distracted - I've quit my job to go to graduate school in the US. I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, but it's on hold (in paper) and I'll hopefully get it before it's time to leave. ametzler - hmmm, I found Jasper Fforde to be a "less good" version of Tom Holt and only got through the first couple of books.

Lynx-lynx - I'm not there right now, though I did two 6-month stints over the 10-11 and 11-12 summers there. The first year, there were 4 ereaders on station that I was aware of, out of about 80 people, and 3 of them (including mine) were sonys, with one kindle. The second one, there were a whole lot more, and more of them were kindles. I put this down to the availability of kindles in-store at dick smith and the like. Sadly, my sony died in the middle of the season so I spent the next few months reading off my laptop and paper books from the station library.

Internet is by satellite communications, so there is access, but the bandwidth is quite limited. But book files are so small (esp compared to music and videos) that it wasn't an issue to download a couple of book files a week from my home library.

The station library reflects the historical station demographic - typically 80-95% male. Lots of action blockbusters and science fiction pulp with a bit of sword and sorcery fantasy. Probably about a dozen novels aimed at the women's market. Non-fic was pop science and history, along with heavier science and the obligatory collection of Antarctic material. One of the most annoying things was books 2-4 of Julian May's Pliocene series... Most pleasant surprise was the first Stephanie Plum novel, which I read on a whim and liked more than I had expected. I mostly read pop science, Agatha Christies, and pulp SF.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote