View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #54
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
LOL, Vandy and others.

There's some good discussion and ideas here. We will have a June selection by the end of this month, so within the next ten days. I will actually be leaving for five days on the 22nd, so I will have something decided and posted by tomorrow.

Regardless of how we end up choosing a selection, I like the idea of a discussion moderator to post discussion questions and help keep the discussion moving. If we go with voting, perhaps someone who voted for the selection can step up each month to volunteer to help lead the discussion.

I like the idea of being exposed to authors and works that we may not have been otherwise. However, we will actually be exposed to more options by nominations and voting. If one person chooses each month, we will only have one option a month. A more obscure work may or may not win a vote, but just being nominated would expose it to us.

Seeing all the different ideas in these last pages, I, as the club starter, am going to take the reins of, like someone earlier put it, "benign dictatorship" to make some final decisions. It is necessary. I hope everyone will take what I decide in stride, as no definition of literature or method of selecting a book is perfect. Honestly though, the ideas have been really good, and there are some great ideas presented that just won't be used. In making decisions, I will consider what will keep this club running smoothly and easily; what will give us selections that are good, varied, interesting and challenging; and what all of you are posting.

I see some are worried about non-literature books being chosen or endless arguments. I trust in us, though. I think we're all mature enough to, if necessary, debate politely and for a short period, and then move on. I also think that those attracted to this club are going to want literature. We may have a few minor disagreements here and there about books on the edge, but for the most part I think we will be fine.

Couldn't have said it better, "Hail to the Chief" !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote