View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
There definitely is more to it than price. Sony did make very beautiful, functional, and innovative products. I have one of the SZ series laptops. It was way, way ahead of its time. Extremely light and thin, carbon fibre shell, good battery life. Then innovation stopped and greed took over. They overloaded their PCs with adware which slowed them to a crawl, and the average user didn't know how to remove these useless programs. They fed the user a steady diet of incremental spec upgrades, instead of new designs (sure reminds me of some other high flyers today!). We bought a small 11.1" laptop for my wife later, the build quality is lousy.

They wasted billions on Blu-Ray (which is dead in the water due to direct downloads and streaming) and the TV section went downhill, too. They just bought the panels and slapped their brand name on them.

A sad story, but I don't see them turning it around. Japan in general seems to be full of companies who couldn't turn the corner when the tide turned and they lost their original competitive edge. I see same thing happening for industrial machinery, too.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-15-2012 at 02:56 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote