View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
nicciglen
nicciglen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Looking for eReader lamp with dimmable warm-white mini-incandescent bulb

I'm looking for a eReader light with a dimmable mini-incandescent bulb, giving a warm-white yellowish coloured light, rather than the blue-tinged or cool-white light that modern LED and other energy saving bulbs emit. The lamp would be for my Sony PRS-T1 eReader, however it doesn't specifically need to be an eReader lamp - a dimmable portable book light giving a warm-white (yellowish) light from a mini incandescent bulb (i.e. having a filament) should work too.

I know that old fashioned filament-based incandescent bulbs suck up energy much faster than their energy saving LED counterparts, however I have a very good reason for not wanting to go with the LED version. I have a light sensitivity vision impairment (similar to Irlen Syndrome and Visual Stress) - although I can read very well. This means that I find it much easier to read with dim lighting, and get migraines and mentally tired when trying to read with white light sources. Energy saving light bulbs are a big problem for me, as most of them give off a very cool-white or bluish light which I find very uncomfortable - especially when reading.

Just as an example of the kind of light that helps, if I use a normal desktop reading lamp - fitted with a traditional incandescent bulb, and dim it right down so that the light rendering is very warm and yellowish, then I can read quite comfortably. I'm looking for the same effect from a mini-lamp for my eReader.

Folk who are already familiar with Visual Stress might suggest I just go for one of the usual LED-based eReader lamps and use a coloured overlay on the eReader. Well, I already use a coloured overlay with my eReader and I also use tinted Irlen glasses, however they still don't make reading my eReader with a cool-white bulb comfortable.

Does someone perhaps know if there is a portable mini book or eReader lamp that fits the characteristics described above?

Thanks in advance
nicciglen is offline   Reply With Quote