View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-T1
How to "segregate" collections?

Hi all,

Been torturing my brain trying to come up with ways to keep some order in my collections. I know that I can't do any hierarchical organizing, but I would still like to keep collections apart from others. For instance, I would like to keep "nonfiction" separate from "fiction", and "series" separate from "genre" tags. Note that I don't mean just putting the files in a different collection (that's trivial) but to keep a "type" of collection separate from another type. ("genre" vs. "series" for example).

Random thoughts below:

-I thought I could just add punctuation symbols (* or _ for example) to collect a certain type of collection at the beginning or end of the list, but the T1 appears to ignore those. Same with <space>, it will simply get sorted based on the first letter/number, not in front of everything else.

- can I force calibre to sync some book files as "periodicals"? The T1 has this whole separate category, seems like a waste just for the 2-3 different news sources I am likely to ever use. Why not use it to store all nonfiction stuff?

- the T1 displays some built-in collections at the top (unread books/periodicals and purchased books). Can I tweak these to show other things instead?

- of course I can for example just add a 0 in front of all non-fiction stuff (similar to a crude DDC/UDC classification) and a "z" in front of all the series, but is there a more elegant solution?

- finally, from screenshots on this forum I thought there would be a rolodex on the right-hand side. Turns out the T1 dropped this, the rolodex is only present on the older PRS-XXX series . Is there a way to bring it back?

Did anybody else wrestle with this conondrum? How did you solve it?

TL;DR: I want to group some collections together to find them easily on the T1. How?
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote