View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I understand that. But people got used to underlined links because they saw underlined links in the web... they can only get used to non-underlined links if they see non-underlined links somewhere

My point is that if we want things to change, we must do something actively, we must push somehow.
Jellby:

I don't necessarily disagree. My questions/observations are few and simple:
  1. Seriously, what do you suggest as an alert method, to let a reader know that something's a link? A color? A font? What about readers that are e-ink and don't support embedded fonts?
  2. And, we all know that many of us here on MR have actively lobbied against the abortion that became ePUB3, with almost all the "forward" movement being multi-media crap done strictly for Apple. What did that get us? Not trying to be cranky, BUT...just sayin'. Bear in mind that hundreds of thousands of more books will be made by DIY'ers, using Word files as uploads at Amazon and NookPress and Smashwords, than will ever be made by the likes of us, Jellby--and every single one of those will have bright blue underlined links. As will all the BPH books that are made in Delhi. Just an observation.

@toolbox13:

With regard to the inheritance, you have to ask yourself, inherit from what, if the color is automatic? That's the first thing. The default color for links on a Kindle is blue. Does the inheritance inherit blue? IIRC (and I freely admit, I could be mis-remembering this from the last time I tried to work with this, which was some time ago), the "automatic" color for links defaults to blue. If you set it to black, we're back at square one. But again, I could be not recalling this correctly. If you set the color for links, generally, so that the inheritance works (because I think that the various types of links would inherit the color from the a: setting, not from the text, and cascade thusly) then you have to pick something that will show up on Night mode. Red, etc., won't work with that. Jellby, does that sound right to you?

The second is, how distinguishable do you think those shades of grey will be on the innumerable e-inks, ranging from the K-1s to K2's to K3's to Keyboards to Paperwhites to DX'es? It's spiffy to think about Fires and Fire HD's and all that cool stuff, but there are millions--millions--more e-inks than there are Fires. Is there a shade of grey that will work with Night Mode? I'll defer to those of you with stronger senses of color than I have; my experience is that only "automatic" text, which becomes white-on-black, works for Night Mode, but a light grey might (which, in turn, mayn't be readable on an e-ink in Day mode). Just my $.02 on this.

Not opposed to outside-the-box ideas...just wondering, what can be done that a) works on all platforms and b) is intuitive to the reader, who, after all, is our end-product-consumer.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote