View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Warning - you'll lose everything if you do a firmware reset - this should be an option of last resort.

To reset the firmware, you do a pinhole reset and immediately hold down the home key. You'll be presented with a screen with three options, one of which is reset the firmware. It took me three tries to get the timing right for the new menu to appear, I guess I wasn't pressing/holding the home key quickly enough after the reset. I don't remember the othe options on the screen (I was too worried about the firmware reset), perhaps tsgreer's memory is better than mine!

Once I reset the firmware, my Kindle started behaving itself again - I think that somehow (firmare upgrade, me messing around, act-of-G*d) my filesystem had been corrupted (the missing 90K I mentioned earlied, which was not just in a simple trash file) and the firmware reset rebuilt the filesystem. It's been running great for a week, so there are no terrible problems inherent in the 1.0.4 firmware, but the upgrade process might be a tad bit buggy.
I didn't have to push the pinhole. I was told to make sure wireless was off. Press "Alt-Shift-R." Same thing as pushing the pinhole, but you don't have to remove the Kindle from it's case. Right as the screen went blank and before it restarts, I had to push the "home" key and hold down for a few seconds until a single page with three options printed at the bottom showed up.

After doing this ad the bottom of the screen are these options: 1. Firmware Update. 2. Firmware Reset. 3. Exit.

And yes, like you, I lost of my info from the kindle, but not the SD card that was installed. Also I will have to re-register my Kindle because I just noticed that it's not "Travis's Kindle" anymore, so now we know an easy way to reset the device before you sell it. (Re-registering can be done from the Kindle, under settings. Type in your email that's associated with your amazon account and password and it's all done. Takes less than a minute.)

But I'm glad I did it. It acts normal now and the upgrade remained intact. Most of my books were on my SD card anyway, so not a big deal and I back up pretty regular.

I say it acts normal now, but that's for only the last 20 minutes or so, so I can't for certain say that it's totally fixed. Seems to be acting much more healthy now though!

By the way, I didn't remember either, like you I was just concentrating on not doing anything wrong. But I just did it again just now so I could see that happened.

Last edited by tsgreer; 02-22-2008 at 02:46 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote