View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I have two Nook STRs, tried a Nook w/ Glowlight, have a Kobo Touch, and just picked up Kobo Glo yesterday.

The firmware on the Nooks seems pretty much bulletproof. I think I might have had to power a Nook down and reboot once, maybe twice ever. Would have kept the Glowlight, but the front lighting wasn't uniform enough, and the eight hotspots where the LEDs are at the top looked like a light bar. They should have either had the bezel overhang more or set the LEDs back further... Heck, the black bar like a Kobo Glo would have been more acceptable.

I've had a few issues with the Touch, but when the rubber hit the road I bought a Kobo Glo. Why? Uniform front lighting, far less of a hotspot issue, you really have to tip it down and look straight on to see it, Variable stroke width fonts, ability to load additional fonts, ability to automate Shelves with Calibre, and enough optimism to hope Kobo will sort out the firmware issues while continuing to offer features like I mentioned.

If the Nook would have offered the features noted and had much less in the way of LED hotspots, I would have kept it because of how good their firmware is, but alas not.

As it is, the only issue I have with the Glo is that one of my shelves insists on showing up as multiples even after removing the books and shelves and trying again, but it did drop from 3 multiples, to two, so perhaps I'll rinse and repeat and see if the other one goes away. I can tell you it is not a Kobo server issue, unless Kobo also monitors shelves created for side loaded epubs?

Let's be honest, Kobo is likely buggier in terms of firmware, but they also offer features others do not, so the hope is that they will clean up their acts. I think what they really need is a real martinet to head up their testing and set a new bug eliminations before anything else priority. No more changes until ALL bugs are eradicated. I don't care if they have to make everybody wear a Starship Troopers uniform to work everyday until it's done and institute corporal punishment, but THE BUGS MUST BE ERADICATED!

They might also try telling everyone that, "Your positions are secure only until you're killed, or I find somebody better!"

Ok, a little Starship Troopers humor, come on, you know you liked something about that movie.

Last edited by TechniSol; 01-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote