Thread: What Database?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
Can someone please tell me where the database is?
When you first install Calibre you should point to an empty folder for your new Calibre Library. This is the folder that you can consider to be the database. This new folder should not be manipulated outside Calibre. Do not use any file manager to add or remove items to this folder or sub folders.

Quote:
Briefly, have had several false starts with Calibre where I uninstalled and installed again because I got into a mess!
Pointing to a folder already full of books when you first install Calibre will create a mess.

Quote:
I saved my library but even when I pointed the 'wizard' to its' location it would not import, so I have done it one file at a time. However, sometimes it tells me that this file already exists in the data base, do i still want to add a duplicate, but the file is not in my list.
It seems to me that you initially pointed to a folder already full of books and have been manually adding and moving books in that folder outside of the tools Calibre gives you.

Quote:
Also, a file might be number 60 on my list but on the path at the bottom of the page it might say it is number 630!
The numbers at the end of folders are for Calibre internal use, ignore them. I would start fresh if I were you. Point to a new empty folder then use the Add books icon (or the drop down options next to it) to add books to Calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote