View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think it's will be pretty difficult to prove that the smaller eBook stores went out of business because of agency pricing. For that matter, I think that agency pricing actually would help the smaller ebook stores. With agency pricing, Amazon could no longer be able to undercut the smaller stores.
But the reason to shop at some of the smaller stores was because of the way they did business before agency. Take fictionwise, they had their buywise club and they did things like buy certain books on this list and we'll give you the price back in store credit. This was a model that was rather successful and one that Amazon did not have. I bought from Fictionwise. But after agency, Fictionwise became nothing special. Also, with BooksOnBoard, they allowed discount codes and they gave you store credit back on a number of eBooks. So eventually, you'd have enough credit to get discounted or even free eBooks. After agency, no way. So yes, being just another generic store with nothing to distinguish them was not in their best interests. They did things to differentiate them from places like Amazon and agency took that away.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote