View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #845
tintin42
tintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura, ipad air, iphone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you are seeing, but I myself have run across a few epubs that have large margins applied in the HTML/CSS formatting - and it is really, really annoying for sure. When you go into the formatting tab in Bluefire Reader, and turn "Use Publisher Formatting" to "off" we try to set the Body Margins to zero. That works for many EPUB's, but the problem is, some EPUB's force margins in various non-standard ways including the use of custom CSS Selectors. With the rendering engine that we use, we can't simply "strip" all formatting from an EPUB, (I wouldn't want to even if we could) we can only over-ride the values applied to "known/standard" CSS Selectors in EPUB files.

If you run into any non-DRM epubs that have that problem, and happen to understand EPUB markup, I'd love to know what markup they are using to set those margins (or post the StyleSheet here). When we know about problematic markup, we can fix it, but we don't have a way to "fix" non-standard markup that we don't know about.
I had a look at an ePub which was not readable due to the wide margins. There were three places that affected this:

stylesheet.css
Code:
div.booksection
	{
		page-break-before: always;
		margin-top:0.5em;
		margin-bottom:0.5em;
		margin-left:0.5em;
		margin-right:0.5em;
	}
div.section 
	{
		margin-top:1.0em;
		margin-bottom:0.5em;
	}
p
	{
		text-align:left;
		line-height:1.2em;
		text-indent:1em;
		margin-top:.1em;
		margin-bottom:.1em;
	}
Setting margins in booksection to 0 helped partially. Lowering the ones in paragraph destroyed some formatting, so no go there.

In the <head> section of each file one finds a reference:
Code:
<link href="../Misc/page-template.xpgt" rel="stylesheet" type="application/adobe-page-template+xml" />
Checking out the /Misc/page-template.xpgt file the relevant tag was:
Code:
  <fo:simple-page-master master-name="single_column">
	<fo:region-body margin-bottom="0.5em" margin-top="0.5em" margin-left="0.5em" margin-right="1.3em"/>
  </fo:simple-page-master>
When settings these to 0 as well the book displayed just fine in BR
tintin42 is offline   Reply With Quote