View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #32
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely the reason for these forums is the contents of the messages, not the visual appearance of peoples' signatures?
The esthetics can have a significant effect overall. A non-monolithic appearance can, over time, create a more vibrant culture.

An argument for, at least some, visual diversity brings to mind the old soviet era buildings and their mind numbing oppression of the human spirit. Compare those buildings with whatever architecture of the same time period that you find pleasing.

In the days of dial up modems you could make a case that such visual diversity would slow down some MR members and that formal restraint was therefore needful. I'm pretty sure that's much less common than it used to be. And as Tom has mentioned - "unckeck the "Display Signatures"". That should speed it up for any who are using a modem, and mollify those who find that "Signatures" beyond the bare minimum are disrupting their reading enjoyment.

Now before you click the "Spoiler" I would like to say that I am not in any way disparaging you or any greenie. It reflects my dismay at the thought of where society as a whole may be going when we try to eliminate all color and flavor from the world around us so that none may have their feelings hurt.

Were I a Frenchman I would say that I shudder at the thought of a future where boiled mutton is all that is left to us because some don't like onion, some don't like pepper, some garlic, ginger, thyme, basil, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper, or what ever....
Spoiler:

On a final note. If the objective is to have a neat & trim MR then someone must make an argument against those who write long posts where you have to keep scrolling down the screen to find the end. Perhaps a word count? (Un-checked tongue in cheek and rampant facetiousness intended here.)

In particular I refer to Worldwalker. Although I occasionally don't agree with him, he expresses himself so well that I can rarely find anything to comment on afterwards. Would it not sully his reputation I would ask to be his friend.

EDIT - I think that I've got WW mad at me.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 02-10-2011 at 09:43 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote