View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdaniosif View Post
We are straying off topic a bit but you should know that only the very new and soon to be available Reader X is able to provide a lightweight annotation capability.
Key word: lightweight.

That is my point: in-file annotation requires opening the file for display, editing it, and then saving it in an adobe-compatible fashion, all using a couple hundred megabytes off RAM and a sub-GHz ARM processor, running on LINUX which Adobe goes out of its way *not* to support. This is not a trivial endeavor.

I would not hold my breath expecting any current-gen ARM-based device to deliver academic-grade PDF-handling any time soon when Adobe itself is only now attempting to deliver even part of the needed functionality.

Large screen size aside, eink readers, webpads, and media tablets of any brand or stripe are *not* full-function PCs and proper pdf processing requires a full PC. If replicating full PC functionality is a pass/fail requirement, save yourselves the grief and go get a netbook or Tablet PC, new or used as the budget allows.

Trying to turn ARM devices into PCs is a thankless job that will satisfy nobody. So far, Pocketbook has resisted the urge to try and have been careful to stay within the bounds of what the hardware performance envelope can deliver as there are limits to what even the best coders can achieve.

And as Inpector Harry Callahan used to say, "A man has to know his limitations."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote