View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #58
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami;2675184

[code
+ My Great Work
+ 10-Part 1
+ 10-Chapter 1
10-Scene.txt
20-Scene.txt
+ 20-Chapter 2
10-Scene.txt
20-Scene
+ 20-Part 1
+ 10-Chapter 1
10-Scene.txt
20-Scene.txt
+ 20-Chapter 2
10-Scene.txt
20-Scene.txt
[/code]

It basically comes down to:
- You create (and name) parts and chapters by creating folders
- You create scenes by writing them in plain TXT files
- They are arranged using priorities (inserting a scene between 10-Scene.txt and 20-Scene.txt is as simple as creating 15-Scene.txt)
- When writing is done, you create the bare-bones (X)HTML or EPUB by running a simple command.
- You can then markup the bare-bones book in a program that can do EPUB-editing.

Would there be interest in something like this?
I use a program that has most of these feature and more. It's a personal info manager called Epim (http://www.essentialpim.com/)

I write the draft using the note system which has a tree structure akin to what you describe, with the upside of being in a single file.

Basically, I create a leaf for the synopsis on top, along with one for me to keep track of random ideas. Then, I proceed with a note per chapter or scene if need be. When I need to have some research data readily available, I simply create a sub leaf and paste it in there.

I love how flexible it is and how easily it lets you manage the organic growth of your draft. You can also pick different icons for your notes. It helps me distinguish the various levels of completeness and urgency.

When you're done, you can export into various formats.

To top it off, you can use the calendar to plan out your writing and promo, and the contacts for the people and websites relevant to your brainchild.
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote