View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm surprised terrorists don't use phones and tablets to take down planes. All they have to do is put them away while "turned on".
It's highly unlikely interference will occur so it's pointless and too costly for a terrorist to fly back and forth and back and forth 100's of times per year hoping to cause an accident.

However, if it can happen, even if it's a remote chance/probability, with the number of passengers and flights that occur yearly, then you're going to eventually have it occur. So they limit the risk and don't allow device usage during takeoff/landing. For the sake of 1/2 an hour taking off and same landing, why risk it. Unless scientists can prove their's not a risk of interference, in which case everyone will be happy.

The few times people do leave devices on, well, chances are nothing will happen and just because some may accidentally do so, does not mean you scrap the idea of turning devices off totally.

Until there's a sure fire way to cause interference that will cause a pilot to crash a plane, terrorists will stick to bombs and hijackings imo.

and yes I realise you likely said it tongue in cheek

Don't know about the rest of you, but I still turn my phone off when requested to do so by hospital staff in areas where they're worried about interference. Even though equipment is usually built to withstand interference, why take the risk for the short time you spend there?

Last edited by JoeD; 01-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote