View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I did nanowrimo once ages ago. Anyone have particular tips as to how to make it work?
Everyone's different, but I think that to get a coherent first draft completed in the month you do need an outline. You're likely to need a lot more words in the limited time otherwise.

Hitting the 50,000 target actually wasn't too hard when I did it last year, and I always felt that it was in reach as I stayed on track throughout with words per day, so the goal quite quickly became getting to the end of the story, rather than hitting the wordcount target. I managed to bring it to its conclusion after 61,000 words within the month.

The draft itself is of immensely variable quality, but I got great satisfaction out of completing it and the simple act of hacking out that number of words has definitely improved my writing.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote