View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #66
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Nice to see a lively discussion emerge here. I have read it all, but I am swamped at work and don't have time for a proper reply - but will get there.

Just a couple of thoughts that came to my mind reading these replies:

1) Legality and morality are two separate issues. In my hometown (Oderzo, TV, Italy) it is legal to charge more for a coffee to non-residents. Which stands for non-whites. I would not call that moral, yet it is legal.

2) The issue centers on what it is we are paying for when compensating an author for copyright. Are we compensating the author for the hours spent writing (in which case, why should the medium matter?) or are we paying for the right to access her work in a certain format, at a certain time, in a certain geographic region? Certainly, the legal interpretation is the second - which negates my right to access an ebook version just because I own the hardcover. But is that the best model?

3) I think the parallel with music is very relevant. I think we all feel we should be able to listen to a song on an ipod when we buy the CD. Yet, for some reason, legislation treats music and books very differently.

4) I think authors need to be pragmatic. My textbook, my journal articles, are all available in electronic format. Because I know, if I don't allow my students to buy them electronically, they will just find illegal electronic copies. Not that they don't anyhow... but I will do my best to provide a legal alternative. Should I be forced to? No, in an ideal world. But fighting windmills doesn't get you far in life...

5) I see plenty of hypocrisy. How many people find it wrong to download an ebook version of HP while owning a printed version, yet would have not problem lending/borrowing a printed book? I know the former is illegal while the latter is legal - but which one is more damaging to authors, which one robs them of compensation for their work?

Finally, I do apologize to those running the boards - whoever those people are. While I do not agree with your stance, it is YOUR boards and I do realize I need to respect your wishes in terms of what to post and what not to post. I have gotten a lot of good info about e-reading here and for that I am thankful.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote