View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If you really want some sort of protection over your data, you better make sure that you are entering a contract that protects your rights to that data.
Contracts won't really help you if you or the vendor do not break it, but instead the government steps in and confiscates all data held by your vendor. I say won't really because in theory a vendor could write protection/compensation clauses in, however i doubt any vendor would offer such a clause because they have no control or ability to mitigate such a situation.

I suppose what should happen is goodwin sues megaupload, megaupload sues carpatihia and in return carpathia would need to sue the US government.

Really the situation has been created by the government going beyond a fine grain targetted clamp down and instead pulled a lot of innocent people into the mix.

The government created this mess with a wide ranging confiscation, they shoud foot the bill for providing access back to individuals who claim their accounts are not holding illegal material (which i see no problem with them doing so, as their t&c of using various cloud sevices likely said you cannot use it for storing illegal content). Even that is a bad situation, but if you're files are mistakenly caught up in a criminal investigation, it's unfortunate, but giving up some privacy to get them back may be the only option.

That said, i hope the fbi are required to prove that the majority of held content really is illegal, otherwise their original confiscation should be brought into question as been too widely scoped.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote