View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #521
adamselene
Enthusiast
adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamselene View Post
Transferring over USB is why I wanted to strip the files myself. Using PDS has the advantage that more content can be kept in the cloud and fetched from the device, and it syncs reading location. (The latter two things don't seem to work on my Kindle 2, but content can be pushed from the web site.)
This is a bit tangential to the topic of the thread, but just following up about my experiment using PDS…

The interface Amazon provides for maintaining Personal Documents is horrid and basically unusable for maintaining a library. In addition to laborious paging interfaces on the web site, there's no ability to categorize, no way to update a document if you've changed it, and not even any attempt to suppress duplicates.

In addition to that, leaving WiFi on to sync location between the Touch and Paperwhite clearly caused the battery on both to drain significantly faster, which greatly nonplussed me.

So, screw that—I'll stick with maintaining my Kindles with rsync.
adamselene is offline   Reply With Quote