View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfe View Post
EPub is a necessity because that is what the library uses. I go through a huge number of books so if I get even half of those from a library, it will save me at least the cost of the reader, assuming a book is $5, over the course of a year. I know that there are free books out there, etc. But that, to me, is huge, since my library has ebooks I want to read. The PDFs are DRM'd and can't be read on the Kindle. And yes, I can strip DRM and convert it, but the expiration, etc, adds a whole new level of complexity. Is the expiration impacted? Will it still expire? If it doesn't expire, how is that different than stealing unless I manually delete it?
So it's really not ePUB that is your necessity, it's AdobeDRM which supports ePUB DRM and PDF DRM?

Once you remove the DRM you remove all restrictions, this includes time expiration.
Not sure how stripping DRM makes you a thief unless you do so with the intent of keeping the eBook.

I don't use the Public Library, I buy most of my books. I find the cost I spend reading the book far exceeds the cost of the book. And I have always had the habit of keeping all my books, even when I read paper books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfe View Post
3G browsing isn't as crucial to me because I have a smartphone and unlimited data already. Yes, it is a smaller screen, but between that, my laptop, and my netbook, (and working on computers all day) another device for browsing isn't high on my list. I'd rather have a longer battery life, since I can spend hours reading when allowed.
Yes browsing on the phone is a better experience but that was not my point, it was having the ability to download content from the internet (not just one store). In other words 3G for the nook is not a real benefit, but 3G from the Kindle is since it is free and provides the ability to download content from any location on the internet from any location in the world for FREE.

Anyhow good luck in finding the best book reader.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote