View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Guzzle booze is more close, but still doesn't convey exact meaning. жрать is often used for eating, and is only used for drinking when you want to express it in especially degradatory way.
True. So maybe "gorge less" would be better. There are so many nuances of the Russian slang expression to eat (хавать, рубать, уплетать, etc.) that "жрать водку" is really rather untranslatable, the best you can do is approximate. In that case, I always favor meaning over literal/etymological translation.

For example, if I say that copyright-fanboys are козлы or бараны or even both at the same time (which is what I believe) it would be impossible to translate it directly. The meaning could, of course, but "goats" and "rams" would not convey that at all

My 2cts
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote