View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My (completely uninformed) guess is that it's possible because they now have the option of using space that was previously taken up with LRF support. That format is no longer needed - existing books can be re-downloaded as ePub.

Specifically, if true, that would mean that PRS-500 owners (like myself) have to choose between:
1) The existing functionality based on lrf files. The only advantage I can see of this option is for someone that is unable, or doesn't want to convert their existing lrf files. Anything purchased at the Sony store should be easily re-downloaded.
2) Updating to add ePub capability, but removing lrf capability. Again, since books are upgradeable from the Sony store, I don't think this is an issue.

While that doesn't cover non-Sony (non-DRM'd) lrf books, I'd guess that most people who have such files are probably capable of either getting another version of the book in a new format from the original source, or using the types of software referenced on MobileRead to do a conversion themselves.

Let me restate - I have NO inside knowledge. This is just a logical perspective on how it might work. And if true, as a PRS-500 owner I will be quite delighted with Sony!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is nice, but strange. Didn't they previously say that the 500 could not run ADE for technical reasons? Perhaps the new ADE mobile SDK is trimmed down enough to allow it.

BOb

Last edited by Bob Russell; 08-14-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Left out the word "owner"!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote