View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by notzed View Post
So i'm pretty bamboozled by this.

Currently it takes 25 seconds to close a specific HTML file (a few hundred K, only 5000 odd lines) on the kobo glo - which is a 1Ghz cpu. Attrocious. (and the fact it hard-locks the machine whilst doing it is even worse, haven't they heard of threads?)

The only way I can think is that they did something really dumb like:

array[] all_lines;
while (line = remove_first_element_shifting_the_rest_up(all_line s)) {
free(line);
}

Despite using Java, which is supposedly 'slow' (it isn't, although tbh the arm implementation isn't as efficient as x86), my experiments are:
- faster start up time
- much much more responsive to touches
- never misses finger motions
- quicker rendering
- etc.

Whereas the kobo touch/glo is:
- slow as a wet week in almost every single operation, even pressing a button is slow

After another 12 months I would have expected it to be really amazing - the hardware is really very very competent, and the CPU is many times faster than the eink display can possible keep up with.

It makes their product feel like rubbish, but it's not the hardware's fault.
I love my Kobo..maybe you should be trying it for what it is designed for.. mine works perfect..just my 3 cents..
DG

Last edited by GadgetMan; 01-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote