View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
J_Leno
Четолюбец
J_Leno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 BC
I'm looking for a e-reader ... any suggestions? :)

So, i've been reading through these lovely forums dedicated to the reading-in-motion or mobile reading and i've found answers to many questions and many other questions have popped up while reading...

In conclusion i am at square 1 - which one should i buy?

I've got a couple of ideas but let me say you what exactly am i expecting from such a device:

1 - I suppose i'll be using .pdf and .doc, .txt, .rtf mostly . I have a MP3-player so the sound-producing capabilities won't be a plus for me or a decisive characteristic

2 - The size of the screen isn't something that bothers me. Larger would be nicer but harder to find the device a perfect place to keep it while travelling.

3 - For now i'm not that much of a traveler but i wouldn't want to recharge my reader every day. A better battery would be nicer with both USB and AC/DC connector ways to recharge the battery.

4 - I'm not a freak about latest stuff or technologies but i like to invest in long-term devices that would worth the money i give for them. So i'm trying to research the best i can. My budget isn't that big in other words, but i could take a big step in paying a lot of money for a device which is a bonus but not as cant-live-without as food for example :P

5 - I've started my research with Sony's Portable Reader (it got my attention a year ago) and i think for the time it's a good option although i'm not sure about some of it's features like .jpg viewing (an option for the manga fans? what's the point in viewing a black&white image?) , AC connector available as a bonus of some kind and for example the battery stand-still situation i've read about in some other threads...

6 - One of the major reasons i haven't bought a Sony already (although i was very eager to do it) was the thing it's only available for the US and i live in Bulgaria which is quite distant...

7 - No cyrillic support for the Sony (don't know about other devices) and need for hacks to read in my native language... (Russian experts have already done that)

I'm waiting for some suggestions (without the iRex iLiad - too expensive for me) i hope i'll find them useful. And another question - would it be a big loss to buy a little cheaper PRS-500 instead of 300$ PRS-505? (if i find a way to get my hands to one)...

I'm not sure if i had made it clear enough about my needs so i'll add this:

i read books in .doc and .txt, .rtf formats and some textbooks that are .pdf format and i'm not that sure which device can display correctly a two-page vertically rotated with many complicated graphics on it textbooks... can a mobile reader rotate and resize/cut/divide such a .pdf files because it would be crucial to not see something ...

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long and chaotic text i've just written
J_Leno is offline   Reply With Quote