Thread: Literary Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #104
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes I agree with you, fantasyfan, because there was this requirement to sacrifice oneself for the greater good of the family and the firm. Being happy and true to oneself was of no importance compared with appearances and what others would think. I'm thinking here particularly of the matter of Tony's second husband, with Thomas wanting her to go back to him rather than expose them all to the scandal of a second divorce.

I'm not sure how far along you are with the story, so I'll use the Spoiler.

Spoiler:
I think we are shown that Thomas was living his whole life under enormous strain, keeping up appearances at immense personal cost, so that in the end, it killed him. He was one of those to whom Thoreau referred, leading a life of quiet desperation.

At least he recognised that Hanno would never be able to do it, and it was an example of his faulty judgement that he chose the worst possible person to manage the wind-up of the business.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote