Thread: Literary Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #101
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have just finished also. Medicine and death: yes I agree with you, paola, that they are recurring themes, particularly of course towards the end of the book. Aren't we lucky to have antibiotics!

Hanno's day at school must have been based on Thomas Mann's own experiences. I hated high school, but I have to admit his was even worse than mine! It's a wonder anyone could ever learn anything in such a place.

I definitely enjoyed that last part much more than the earlier sections, and I am sure this is because of the greater exploration of the inner lives of some of the characters. I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone else to read though.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote