View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
Modern Bear
Modern Bear began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & 700
Youtube really helped my decision a lot. I had seen a 505 and 700 in one store and the 700's screen looked horrible. I suspected that particular one might be defective because it looked way worse than the video's I had seen of 700s on Youtube. As a side note I had seen mos' excellent video during my Youtube research before I ever came to MobileRead, so when I saw her post here I thought to myself "Hey cool she's here too!" I checked out the readers in a second store and the 700 looked way better there. If I had not seen those Youtube videos first I may not have even bothered to check out the 700 at a second place and never bought it. By the way my wife is very happy with it so it worked out well.

Certainly the better videos can give you a good idea of how the screens look, how easy they are to operate, and how fast they change pages and such. The only thing you won't be able to tell is how much they weigh and how they feel in your hand. I couldn't even tell that at Borders because they had the readers in brackets so all you could do is push buttons but not hold it. I can't blame them for that though because if you let people handle them they would be broken within a week from an accidental dropping or two like the 505 I saw at Brookestone which had the telltale signs of screen damage.
Modern Bear is offline   Reply With Quote