View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Yes, I'm very happy with it. I've been "stuck" with it for months. (I can't re-flash the original firmware). If you're happy with FBReader, you should be happy with OpenInkpot. (E.g. no DRM. You can install FBReader on your computer to give it a try)

The UsersGuide on the wiki is accurate, at least about the book-reading features you can expect. (The images are a bit unreadable, but they get bigger if you click on them).

I wouldn't use Calibre with it, at least to start with. Calibre is somewhat unsubtle when it comes to converting e-books. The default settings appear to force justification but prevent hyphenation, which can get rather ugly.

There's one crash bug I noticed in 0.2 - FBReader crashes when a hyperlink is too wide to fit on the screen. It's fixed in the unstable version 0.3-rc1.

The hardest part is installing OpenInkpot. As the FAQ says, it's not possible to "brick" the device. But some people find they can't re-install the original firmware. Nate had to try several times before the installation succeeded; we don't know why. Judging by the forums, many people seem to be using it. AFAIK no-one has reported complete failure. So any risks are currently theoretical.

I'd worry more about the possibility of being stuck with the original firmware :-). The original firmware may have DRM support and a sound recorder, but apart from that it's strictly inferior.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote