View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC3 View Post
Playing around with the save to disk template and I see that there is an OPF file that is saved as well as the cover and book.

What is that file?
OPF stands for Open Packaging Format. The Open Packaging Format is a standard that is a part of the EPUB eBook specification. The OPF files store information for an associated eBook including the title of the eBook, the eBook language, creator, reading order and book ID. The OPF file is included in the EPUB archive to specify the metadata of the associated eBook. The OPF files are saved in XML format.

Calibre puts all the metadata into the OFP, including non-standard items (eg series) and custom column items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC3 View Post
And, why is it needed when saving to disk?
I'm not sure why its needed when saving to disk, but that could also be said of the cover. For completeness sake I would think.

You can eyeball the OPF with a text editor (if you use something like Notepad++ it will look pretty), and because its XML its relatively easy to read it within a program.

The OPF files are 'needed' in the library folder to provide a means of restoring the library metadata database should it get damaged or lost.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote