View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Does anyone know for sure that they WEREN'T passing it on to the state?
Perhaps they mistakenly thought they needed to,
California sales tax regulations are . . . complicated, at best. When they tried to tax "junk food," at one point, if you bought one package of Twinkies, they were tabxable, but a full case wasn't. There are some areas where the Board of Equalization has publicly admitted they have no idea what's taxable and what's not.

Electronic goods, however, where no physical object changes hands, have always been non-taxable.

Quote:
and the state didn't bother to say "you know, you can stop sending us this money....."
BOE has no way to tell. The form that gets sent in with tax paymenst has a line for "taxable goods," and one for "non-taxable goods," and nothing to indicate what the goods actually are. Nor do they care. The only thing they care about is collecting as much money as they can (though they're very reasonable about it - my web site sold mostly to out-of-state or even out-of-country customers, who are non-taxable, and they never questioned the very high percentage of non-taxable sales). They're very easy to deal with, so long as you don't need questions about what's taxable and what's not answered.

Quote:
I'm not betting on it, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.
I suspect you're dead on.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote