View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Where to start: you need to request the developer's kit to get "shell access," which allows you to run 3d party programs. Log in to "MyIrex" and then add "developer" to the end of the url. After you make the request, update your iLiad and you'll have the access.

I'd start with FBReader (much nicer for reading HTML and TXT formatted files) and EmelFM2 (the file browser utility). These are easy to install and you'll get a lot of functionality out of them. I have mrxvt (a shell window) installed on my iLiad as well, and I find it useful from time to time, but that will depend on how comfortable you are at the unix prompt. I also have gargoyle, just for fun. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software for a list of most of the 3d party programs available.

As Adam says, now that we can re-flash from the CF card, trying new apps is pretty safe. I did make a mistake with EmelFM2 and accidentally deleted or moved a file the iLiad needed, and I was able to restore the system from CF quite easily.

Have fun!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote