Thread: MobileRead January 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is the winning book going to be this poorly worded?

Quote:
“Mother Witch,” said Alveric, “I wedded the King of Elfland's daughter.”
That just reads really poorly. Normally, you would say "I married" and give a name. As it's written, it's obsolete wording and you would not say (for example) "the baker down the road's daughter" same poor way of saying it when you should say her name. So if her name was say Elisha, you would say "Mother Witch, I married Elisha said Alveric." The "said Alveric" in the middle there just take you out of what he's trying to say. If you need to mention she is the King's daughter, then do this ""Mother Witch, I married Elisha who is the Elfland King's daughter said Alveric."

Is the writing going to be like that throughout and are we going to get obsolete wording?

Oh and does anyone have a well formatted ePub version in case I do decide to read it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote