View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Here is the problem, as I see it. All the text editors that I am aware of use CR/LF sequence to mark the end of line. Calibre looks for two consecutive CR/LFs to identify a paragraph but totally ignores the single CR/LF making it impossible to create bullet lines.
The default is to use two new line markers as the paragraph boundary. This example illistrates why:

Code:
This is all
one paragraph

This is also all one paragraph. We use
two new line markers to separate
paragraphs for the following reason.

If I make a
list of items separated by 
a single new line marker then,
I can't tell if it's paragraph
or a list. So I assume it's
a paragraph because they're
more common.
Your two options are to put a second new line after each item in the list or as jackie_w suggested use markdown to give a higher degree of formatting.

Also, only Windows uses this sequence. Unix based system (both Kovid and I use Linux, GRiker uses OS X) use LF only. Apple's OS 9 and earlier used CR only to denote a new line. TXT input must support all of these variations including any combination of the above new line markers within the same file. Due to this we cannot do something like: CR/LF denotes new line and CR only denotes items in a list. Internally TXT input converts all new line markers to LF. This solves the different OS using different markers and allows for TXT input to easily match against a single new line character.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote