View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #1549
DocSouth
DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I didn't see your first post, and have just started book 3. I think this supposed effect that wizards have on electrical items is going to be hard for the writer to write around today. Such a person couldn't function at all in a city today. Heck, he couldn't even start his car because of the electric ignition (which has been around since before Dresden Files came into existence. If you are basically a moving EMF field, phones don't work, cars won't work, lighting wherever you go would stop.

It's kindof like the movies - yeah, you know they didn't think it through when writing it, but you just have to pass it off and move forward.

Well, from what I gathered when reading them, Harry's field is not a guarantee, it's a variance of complex mechanical objects probability of proper function. I.E. it dramatically increases the likelihood that complex objects will malfunction, but doesn't guarantee it. Hence he drives a vintage VW Beetle with a incredibly simple engine, he uses revolvers instead of semi-automatics, etc. etc. It's not a walking EMP field, just highly increased likelihood. The more complex, the higher the probability. So less likely around indoor plumbing, more likely around a Crey supercomputer.

At least that is how I've always read it.
DocSouth is offline   Reply With Quote