View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #55
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
that is a great question.

for me, i take pride in ownership. i like having things. books look nice on the shelf and they tell people what i'm about. i like being able to get to them on my timetable, not on the library's.

i'm perfectly ok with getting movies through netflix. i'm perfectly ok with renting games or borrowing cds. theres just something about books that demand that i own them, whether i reread them or not.
And there was a time not so long ago when books were a symbol of wealth. One of the kings of France had a large library. It contained 24 books. This was before the advent of the printing press of course, but still there is something about owning a book that you can't replicate with other media. Ebooks allow the ownership of many more books than would be practical otherwise and reduce back strain. Ever try carrying a copy of the Oxford Shakespeare around? It's a thick and heavy book (I own a copy). Not so the ebook version of Shakespeare's plays.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote