View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
A: This is an important development that ALL users of non-Kindle e-readers should be aware of. Follow the link!

B: I see no reason why this development, even if it becomes standard publishing industry practice, should be the end of the Sony reader. You still have access to virtually every e-book offered. And, much as I hate Apple and their policies, the fact that the I-pad and competing tablets all read .epub formats leaves no doubt that .epub and possible successor formats will continue to be widely supported for e-book releases.

Also, libraries have strong support in the USA and doubtless in many other countries, and I would amazed if laws are not passed forcing publishers to accommodate libraries in the e-book age.

And indeed, from the publisher's perspective, such a move might open Pandora's Box, for example additional laws forcing publishers to allow e-books to be lent to friends, and to be resold as used. Publishers are building up a huge reservoir of ill will among e-book readers, and sooner or later such policies are going to blow up in their faces. And they will richly deserve it.

Cheers

KNI
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote