View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #22
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by thename View Post
This is the short-sighted "well our old manner of doing business won't survive this!" vision of the economy displayed by the music, movie, and newspaper industries in the past few years. Instead of evolving their businesses ("hey, why don't we just offer our product in this adopted manner?") they spent millions fighting, litigating, and obstructing the progress. $9.95 across the board probably is too low to support the entirety of the publishing industry's old-guard distribution, printing, advertising, etc.

Which is why, I believe, we need to lobby booksellers to raise prices on paperbacks. Clearly it's ruining the publishing industry as they're forced to sell this, effectively stealing sales of this!

I will, however, continue imagining a 15th century Grisham railing against the new-fangled printing press and how the cheaper method of printing would be ruinous for authors and monks.
This reminds me of the story of Digital Audio Tape (DAT). It was a format that could have been an excellent replacement for the compact cassette, just like CD was the replacement for the LP and 45. Unfortunately, it ended up being killed by industry forces and by advancing technology (recordable CDs soon became practical).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote